Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Cooking for One

My husband has been out of town on business a lot lately. So I've been spending a lot of evenings alone. I haven't been cooking much, mostly snacking or picking a subway sandwich for lunch and having half for lunch and half for dinner. Tonight I decided to cook something decent for myself, didn't know what I had in hand, so I came home looked in the fridge and pantry and came up with this.

Here's what I used:
Half package of whole wheat penne rigate.
2-3 tbsp of butter
3/4 cup of heavy cream
1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella 
1/2 cup of diced queso fresco 
1 slice of smoked bacon
1 cup of medium cooked shrimp
2 handfuls of grape tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic mashed & minced
Pepper 

Here's how I prepared it:
I cooked the pasta until al dente12-13 minutes. Cooked the bacon, got rid of the fat but left the flavor, in the same pan I melted the butter and added the heavy cream, mixed and simmered for 5 minutes. I then added the cheese and garlic, blended quickly with a whisk. In a separate pan I cooked the tomatoes in olive oil for a few minutes turned off the the heat, then added the cooked shrimp. I added to cooked pasta to the cream sauce added pepper to taste. Then combined with the tomatoes and shrimp. I topped it with diced bacon. It turned out delish! Definitely made a little too much so I will have plenty of left overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment