Thursday, October 7, 2010

Autumn=warm soups


With the cold weather and rain here in southern California, I've been making soups this week, Monday I made my mother inlaws (Momma Rina) chicken & dumplings (secret recipe), and it was fab,my hubby was real excited when he tasted it, said that it was as good as his momma's:) Last night I busted out the crock pot and made some chili, James picked up these fresh veggies from my local Farmer market Dogwood's, love that place. Here's what I used, but I'm still making adjustments, I think it needs more spice, but it's a start.

Chili Recipe:
1.25 lbs ground turkey
1 yellow onion chopped
1 red onion diced
5 cloves of garlic minced
Chicken broth 12 oz or so
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 large can of pinto beans drained
1 medium size can of red kidney beans drained
2 green bell peppers diced
1 red bell pepper diced
2 jalapenos diced
2 serranos diced
2 large beefsteak tomatoes chopped
6 tomatillos chopped
Pinch of cumin (ground)1 tsp.
New Mexico chili powder
Salt & pepper to taste

In a skillet brown turkey, yellow onion, 2 cloves of garlic in oliveoil, season with salt & pepper.
Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the veggies.In a crock pot, add onion, bell peppers, garlic, broth, tomato paste,beans, then drained turkey once its browned, stir, turn to low heat andcover.
In same skillet used for turkey, add tomatoes, tomatillos, let sweat then add jalapenos and serrano chilies, let cook until it becomes a sauce.
Add tomato mixture to crock pot, cumin, chili powder, kosher salt &pepper to taste (at least tsp. each) stir.
Let cook covered 6-8 hours on low. Check for flavor once it gets hot.
Garnish with your favorite toppings. I added shredded cheddar cheese and cilantro to my bowl! Yum!
Next time I'll add some more jalapenos and serranos, a bit more cumin, some oregano, and a little birdy told me cocoa gives good flavor, so I'll add some too:)

Happy eatings!

No comments:

Post a Comment