Sunday, January 31, 2010

I food...



What can I say, I love to cook because I love to eat...lately Ive been really into veggies, legumes, and egg whites...yum ! Last weekend, had a few friends over for dinner and Wii, I made chile verde, turned out great, sad I didnt get any pictures;( Here's the recipe...got it from simply recipes, but changed a few things.

Chile verde:
3-4 lbs lean pork shoulder roast
10-12 tomatillos
8-10 garlic cloves (half mashed and chopped)
3-4 jalapenos
3-4 serrano chilies
3-4 New Mexico Chilies, if cant find use anaheim chilies
bunch of cilantro
2-3 yellow onions chopped
2 cans chicken stock
olive oil
salt & pepper

Roast half the garlic, chilies, and tomatillos, until lightly blackened on a baking sheet, make sure to season with salt & pepper, and coat with olive oil. 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a blender or food processor, add cilantro (make sure to deseed chilies, and peel garlic) and blend until chunky. season if needed.
Meanwhile, cut pork into cubes, season with salt & pepper, brown in a big soup pot with chopped onion and chopped garlic, once pork is evenly browned on all sides, add chicken broth, and salsa verde, bring to a boil then let simmer for a few hours. (You do all this in a crock pot and cook on low heat all day, but I still recommend roasting the chilies and tomatillos first).

You could also serve it as a soup topped with cheese and tortilla strips. However I served it with whole wheat tortillas, black beans with queso fresco, and spanish rice...so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment