Thursday, October 22, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!!!

Today is my mother's 55th birthday:) My sisters & I took her out to lunch at Molly's Cafe in Upland, then to Claremont to do a little bit of shopping:) It was nice to spend the day outdoors, the weather was perfect, and being that this has been such a hard month, I think we all needed it. My mother is such a strong woman and I admire her greatly. Love you mucho mama!!!

On the way back we stopped by the farmers market where I was able to get some fresh produce to make my honey some Caldo de Pollo (chicken soup) since he's been feeling a little under the weather.

Here's the recipe:

In a pot, 8-10 chicken drumsticks, 8-10 small red potatoes halved, handfull of green beans, 4-5 carrots chopped, 2 whole garlic cloves, 4 halves of corn on the cobb, 2 chopped zucchinies, handfull of cilantro, half head of cabbage chopped, 1-2 bay leaves, salt & pepper to taste cover with water and bring to a boil on high heat, taste for salt add if needed. Then lower to simmer and cover. Cook until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through.

Meanwhile, in a pan, med heat sweat minced garlic and half a white onion chopped for a few minutes, add 1 chicken buillion and stir in 1 1/2 cups of rice to brown. Stir in half a can of tomato sauce, and add 3 cups of water, cover and lower to simmer until almost done, then add fresh diced tomato and cilantro, then cover until done.

Serve soup over rice, with a wedge of lemon and some chili sauce to taste. Yummy! Enjoy;)

No comments:

Post a Comment